This is the most wonderful time of the year! Cooler weather, holiday decorations, family, food – we can’t say enough how much we truly love this season. However, it is also the time of year when things (decorations, wrapping paper, gift tags, etc…) get accumulated beyond belief. At Techline Furniture, Cabinetry, & Closets, we know that these things don’t have places in your non-holiday lives, but where do you put them when the season is over?
- Holiday Ornaments. Store similarly shaped ornaments, such as glittery orbs, in boxes with compartments. Wrap each ornament in tissue paper and fit it inside its own compartment; if an ornament is a lot smaller than the compartment, pad it with small pieces of bubble wrap so it won’t be jostled in storage. When you’re finished putting all the ornaments in their box, make a list on the outside of the box so you know what ornaments it holds for next year.
- Holiday Wreaths. Wreaths made from faux fir or pine can easily be stored in hat boxes or hung up in the back of a closet. If you prefer to hang your holiday wreaths, attach each wreath to a wire hanger using florist‘s wire or twist ties, and cover the wreath and hanger in plastic to protect the wreath from dust. Hang in the back of a closet, the basement, or the attic, and simply unwrap the wreath next year to display.
- Christmas Tree Lights. There are several handy ways to store Christmas tree lights so they remain untangled for the following year. When taking the lights down, be sure to wrap around your arm so they remain untangled, and store them in a plastic container, using clips or wire to hold a circular shape so the lights stay neat and organized for next year.
- Mantel Displays. It’s important when storing decorations from a multiple-part display that you keep the parts together for easy reassembly next year. Wrap each component in bubble wrap or tissue paper and store neatly in a box. If you used fresh pine or fir sprigs for a mantel display, make a note of that on the box so you’ll be able to recreate the same display year after year.
- Dining Table Set. Keep everything from your fine Christmas china to the napkins, centerpieces, and place cards all in one place. If you have a hutch to store special dishes in, stack them according to size. Fold cloth napkins and store in the same place, or keep packages of paper holiday napkins in a nearby drawer with the holiday place cards and silverware. If the Christmas table centerpieces are made from materials that can be used year after year, dismantle and keep in a separate box, making sure to label it and store in a place where you’ll easily find it next year.
Organization doesn’t have to be a stressful time for you! And if you find you’re running out of storage room, give Techline a call for help!